Five-Year Total Tops $2.5 Million!by How You Can Give Back on 9/12/2008
For the fifth straight year, Paul Mitchell Schools spent the months of February, March, and April raising money for their annual Magic of Memories campaign.
The popular "FUNraiser" culminated in a gala dinner featuring a live and silent auction and hosted by celebrities and representatives from the sponsored organizations. This yearâ��s event was held at the Island Hotel in Newport Beach, California, on April 26, 2008, and hosted by radio and TV personality Leeza Gibbons, Paul Mitchell CEO and Cofounder John Paul DeJoria, and Shawn King, chairperson of the Larry King Cardiac Foundation and wife of CNNâ��s Larry King. Key supporters included Larry King, American Idol host Ryan Seacrest, and special guest Larry King Jr., co-chairman of the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.
An emotional Paul Mitchell School Dean Winn Claybaugh proudly announced this yearâ��s grand total of more than $930,000. The figure shattered all previous records and brought the five-year total to over $2.5 million. The funds will be distributed to the Andrew Gomez Dream Foundation, the Leeza Gibbons Memory Foundation, the Larry King Cardiac Foundation, Food 4 Africa, Sister Bonnieâ��s Franciscan Haircuts from the Heart, the NCA Disaster Relief Fund, and Cut It Out.
Future Professionals and staff members at schools across the country held a variety of "FUNraisers" for the selected charities. Emphasizing events that involve personal contact with contributors rather than letter-writing campaigns or other hands-off techniques, the schools focused on grassroots, dollar-by-dollar efforts like cut-a-thons, fashion shows, bake sales, raffles, "Casual for a Cause" days, and many other unique ideas.
The live and silent auctions held at the Magic of Memories dinner brought in another $62,000 as school owners and other guests bid for original artwork, a handmade quilt, hot air balloon rides, a week with Michael Galvinâ��s "Believe" bus and its built-in hair salon, a stay at John Paul DeJoriaâ��s home, and other unique items. A highlight of the evening occurred when Leeza Gibbons and Shawn King â��persuadedâ�� Winn Claybaugh to make his singing debut. "I knew Winn would kill me because of the ambush," Leeza said, "except for the fact that we used the opportunity to generate about $15,000 in funding. Our auctioneer for the evening, Alfie Silva, suggested that Winn singing become an annual event and I'm all for it!"
Top 10 FUNraisers
- $57,000 . . . Paul Mitchell The School â�� Salt Lake City
- $47,000 . . . Paul Mitchell The School â�� Houston
- $42,300 . . . North Haven Academy â�� A Paul Mitchell Partner School
- $32,103 . . . Cosmetology Career Center â�� A Paul Mitchell Partner School
- $31,504 . . . The Wisconsin Academy â�� A Paul Mitchell Partner School
- $30,000 . . . Paul Mitchell The School â�� Rhode Island
- $25,295 . . . Carolina Academy â�� A Paul Mitchell Partner School
- $25,004 . . . Paul Mitchell The School â�� Great Lakes
- $24,000 . . . Parisian Beauty Academy â�� A Paul Mitchell Partner School
- $22,282 . . Paul Mitchell The School â�� Nashville