The Barber Program
Barber School - Tinley Park, IL
The modern-day barbershop trend is evolving. More and more consumers want a comfortable space where they can get the full, traditional barber experience by a professional, state-licensed barber. Students (or as we call them, Future Professionals) are guided by our Learning Leaders through the barbering program’s three levels—Core, Adaptive and Creative—taking on more advanced techniques and building real-world skills and confidence as they move through each stage.
Our Program Levels
LEVEL 1: CORE
A foundation course focusing on the fundamentals of both the theory and technical foundations of hair, skin, men’s grooming, facial shaves and an introduction to our Paul Mitchell Schools culture. Future Professionals learn the fundamentals in theory, then practice them hands-on in the safe environment of the classroom. You’ll work on mannequin heads and receive close, personal attention from a Learning Leader guiding you every step of the way.
Technical Areas Covered Include:
- Chemical work (including coloring and perms)
- Men’s shaving and grooming
- Basic skin and grooming
- Basic skin care
- Hairpiece design, fitting, and maintenance
- And much more
LEVEL 2: ADAPTIVE
The learning continues in the classroom and on the clinic floor, where Future Professionals practice and perfect the fundamental skills learned in Core. Adaptive-level students work on live models in a barbershop-like environment with the oversight and support of their Learning Leaders. You will work with professional products and learn how to conduct client consultations and create extraordinary guest-service experiences.
Areas Covered Include:
- Practice on real people in a barbershop-like environment
- Perfect your skills with help from Learning Leaders
LEVEL 3: CREATIVE
The Creative phase is where Future Professionals begin to expand their skills and learn more advanced and creative techniques. At the Creative level, students prepare to become barbershop-ready by working more independently. The pace and conditions are similar to those in a barbershop. You will develop your speed, build a résumé and portfolio and prepare to pass the state board test.
Areas Covered Include:
- Work independently (under the supervision of a Learning Leader)
- Prepare a career portfolio
- Prepare to pass the State Board test
- Develop speed and prepare to start your career
We want you to be prepared. That’s why our Future Professionals receive their own professional kit packed with all the essentials—mannequin heads, shears, clippers and trimmers, a straight-edge razor, combs, clips, and much more—so you’re ready to succeed in school and launch your dream career.
When you have the latest technology and resources at your fingertips, you’ll be more successful in school and in your career. Future Professionals have on-the-go access to schoolwork, advice from industry leaders, Paul Mitchell cutting and coloring apps, our exclusive Business Fundamentals: Connecting to My Future curriculum and much more.Learn More
Learn more about our graduation, placement, and licensure rates, and much more.
Our Barber Programs
School Supplies, Kit, and Tuition Costs
TUITION – BARBER (1500)
Application Fee (non-refundable) 25.00
Registration Fee 75.00
Technical Kit 2,221.00
Textbook (non-refundable) 629.00
Digital Kit (non-refundable) 438.00
Sales Tax (7.75%) (non-refundable) 254.83
TOTAL COSTS $26,990.83
School Required Hours
Commitment to Complete Program: 1500 hours
Ready to get started? Here are our upcoming start dates for this program:
Please check back later for class start dates.
- 1 Cutting System APP, ISBN N/A, $199.00
- 1 Men’s Cutting System DVD, ISBN N/A, $162.50
- 1 Color System APP, ISBN N/A, $199.00
- 1 The Coloring Book, ISBN 978-0-9743205-3-3, $26.00
- 1 The Skill Cards, ISBN N/A, $26.25
- 1 Paul Mitchell Product Guide Workbook, ISBN N/A, $2.50
- 1 Connecting to My Future Book, ISBN 0-9743205-0-1, $17.50
- 1 Be Nice (Or Else!) Book, ISBN-13: 978-0-974-993-99-7, $23.95
- 1 Plugged In membership (while enrolled)
- 1 Master Audio Club subscription (while enrolled)
- 1 The Coloe Paper Swatch Chart, ISBN N/A, $N/A
- 1 PM SHINES® Paper Swatch Chart, ISBN N/A, $N/A
- 1 Blonding Brochure, ISBN N/A, $N/A
- 1 SHINES XG® Paper Swatch Chart, ISBN N/A, $N/A
- 1 Milady’s Standard Professional Barbering, 5th Ed. Textbook (hardcover), ISBN-13: 9781435497153, $132.95
- 1 Milady’s Standard Professional Barbering, 5th Ed. Student Workbook; ISBN-13: 9781435497139, $62.95
- 1 Milady’s Standard Barbering, 5th Ed., Exam Review, ISBN-13: 9781435497122, $43.95
- 1 Milady’s Standard Barbering, 5th Ed., CourseMate, ISBN-13: 9781285175188, $177.95
Paul Mitchell The School Tinley Park offers two options for its Barber program, one which provides 10% of the course via distance learning, and the second option requires all of the training to take place within our campus.
*The brick and mortar program is not currently offered. All students must enroll in the hybrid program
Use the Net Price Calculator to estimate tuition information based on what similar students paid in a previous year.Launch Calculator
Funding Your Education
There are a wide variety of financial aid options out there—and we’re here to help you find them. Get information about tuition, financial aid, scholarships, and more from our helpful Tinley Park Financial Aid Leader.Learn More